Scott Stirling is a litigator who focuses his practice in commercial and insurance disputes, class actions, professional liability, and tort defense. He defends businesses and insureds in high-stakes litigation and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings. He also represents insurers in coverage disputes throughout the nation, and counsels clients on coverage issues prior to litigation. Additionally, excess insurers utilize Mr. Stirling to monitor trials and pre-trial proceedings in high-exposure cases to constantly evaluate exposure and assume settlement negotiations if needed. He has represented businesses in cases involving misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of restrictive covenant agreements, and other contract disputes.
Scott advocates for his clients’ interests in every phase of litigation, with an eye toward early resolution while still setting each case up to win at trial. He has successfully obtained early dismissal in a number of actions by motions to dismiss, summary judgment, and by convincing the opposition to voluntarily dismiss their claims prior to discovery. Throughout the cases he handles, each deposition, motion, and discovery request is strategically planned to best position the case for trial or early dismissal.
Scott’s recent successes for his clients include:
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice on a motion to dismiss for an insurance brokerage by securing a novel ruling that under Illinois common law, an insurance broker has no duty to report the claims of its clients.
- Favorably settled multiple high-exposure cases for excess insurers during trial and jury deliberations in cases being defended by the primary insurers.
- Secured a declaratory judgment for an insurer that it had no duty to defend a suit brought against its insured.
- Convinced claimants not to bring suit against insured in a potential multi-million dollar products liability action against a seller after establishing through expert inspections that the catastrophic accident was not caused by a defect in the product.
- Obtained summary judgment for a technical security integration company being sued in a breach of contract action for commissions by its former independent sales representative.
- Obtained a verdict and judgment of more than $300,000 at trial for an insurance brokerage in a misappropriation of trade secrets case against a former employee in the Circuit Court of Cook County.
- Won motion to dismiss for governmental entity being sued for breach of contract on grounds that person who signed contract did not have authority to act for the entity.
- Secured a voluntary dismissal with prejudice for a surgeon in a malpractice case after uncovering misrepresentations made by a plaintiff to her physicians in deposing members of the plaintiff’s family.
- Won dismissal on procedural grounds in case asserting claims of breach of fiduciary duty and violations of the Consumer Fraud Act against a Member of an LLC.
Super Lawyers® Illinois Rising Stars 2017
Super Lawyers® Illinois Rising Stars 2016
Trial Bar, U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
U.S. District Court, S.D. Illinois
Pro Hac Vice in many courts across U.S.
Professional and Community Organizations
Chicago Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association
Volunteer, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago
University of Central Arkansas, , B.A., 2008
Washington University in St. Louis, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- CALI Award for Top Performer in Appellate Advocacy
- Associate Editor, Washington University Global Studies Law Review