Bob Arnold is an accomplished litigator and counselor with 25 years of private practice experience. His practice focuses on the representation of insurers and reinsurers with respect to coverage issues and disputes, commercial litigation and advice, and defense of product manufacturers and professionals. He has represented clients from the US, the London insurance market, Bermuda, and Europe.
Bob’s insurance coverage experience is wide-ranging and diverse, including the areas of first-party property, third-party general liability, multi-line package policies, life, health and disability, ERISA matters, event cancellation policies, contingency coverages, reinsurance, and bad faith. Bob has litigated complex cases involving property losses, fire, arson, windstorm and flood, business interruption, environmental remediation, asbestos bodily injury and property damage, mold, civil rights actions, clergy misconduct, life and disability insurance benefits, event cancellation, municipal liability and employment liability. He has handled cases across the country, including in Illinois, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, and West Virginia.
Bob’s insurance practice also includes providing coverage analysis on novel coverage issues, advice on claim management, policy drafting, and the mediation and settlement of complex coverage disputes.
Bob’s commercial practice includes advising and representing clients with respect to employment matters, business tort claims, non-compete agreements, product liability actions, construction defect claims, and general commercial litigation.
Prior to entering private practice Bob served as a law clerk to Justice Howard C. Ryan of the Illinois Supreme Court.
Bob’s clients have sought his advice in a wide range of complex and novel areas. Bob’s experience includes:
- Defended insurer in coverage and bad faith action arising out of major industrial fire in Illinois.
- Represented insurers in the investigation and litigation of suspected arson claims.
- Defended a manufacturer against numerous injury and fatality claims arising from the collapse of an outdoor stage at the 2011 Indiana State Fair.
- Advised and represented Lloyd’s syndicates on issues relating to a national program providing multi-line coverage to municipalities and religious institutions;
- Defended contingency insurers in lawsuits over claims arising from events cancelled or curtailed due to hurricanes, disease outbreaks and economic downturn;
- Represented Lloyd’s syndicates, London companies and European insurers in litigation over coverage for pollution claims at multiple sites across the country, as well as thousands of underlying asbestos claims;
- Advised a Bermudan captive reinsurer on coverage issues for claims arising from professional tax shelter advice;
- Defended a London-based aquarium equipment company in a case arising out of the failure of the world’s largest private all-glass salt water reef aquarium.
Bob has spoken widely on a range of topics to audiences around the country and in London. Invited presentations include:
“Property Risks & Coverage Conference” – London Stock Exchange, April 2014
“Emerging Issues in Public Entity Liability” – Lloyd’s Syndicate, February 2013
“E-Discovery” – Lloyd’s Syndicate, March 2010
“Catastrophic Events: Impact on the Reinsurance Industry” – Mealey’s Catastophic Loss Conference, Amelia Island, FL, May 8-9, 2006
“Katrina Reinsurance Issues – US and UK Perspectives” – Presented jointly with solicitors from the London firm Barlow Lyde and Gilbert, Chicago, IL, May 2, 2006; London, England, June 13, 2006
“Catastrophic Event Insurance Claims: Response, Management and Resolution” – American Conference Institute, New York, NY, March 2006
“Reinsurance Implications of Hurricane Claims” – Mealey’s Catastrophic Loss Conference: Business Interruption and Impact on the Insurance Industry, Las Vegas, NV, October, 2005
U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
American Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
Illinois State Bar Association
Member of Clarendon Hills Zoning Board of Appeals/Plan Commission
Northern Illinois University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Student Works Editor, Northern Illinois Law Review
University of Illinois, B.A.