Formerly a partner with Winston & Strawn, Neil Holmen is an experienced trial and appellate attorney whose practice is focused on diverse types of insurance and general commercial litigation matters as well as personal injury cases arising out of product liability, and other general negligence claims. In addition, Neil has worked in the defense of a variety of professional negligence cases including physicians, attorneys, architects, engineers and insurance companies. Neil has been lead trial counsel defending insurers in cases involving bad faith failure to settle and bad faith settlement, and has represented insurers litigating issues of coverage and various exclusions, concurrent and consecutive coverage, and nonrenewal. Neil also has been lead trial counsel in cases involving a wide spectrum of other issues, including medical negligence, antitrust, shareholder disputes, unfair labor practices, false advertising, and breach of contract, as well as cases involving miscellaneous business torts.
For several years, Neil was the primary outside litigation and trial attorney for the Illinois State Medical Society and the Illinois State Medical Inter-Insurance Exchange (ISMIE) in connection with litigation with its insureds and with other insurers arising out of medical negligence cases brought against its insured by injured persons. He successfully defended ISMIE in three lengthy jury trials arising out of allegations of bad faith and an injunction hearing that spanned 50 court days over a two-year period and involved more than 40 witnesses and 400 exhibits.
Neil also is experienced in trial and appellate work concerning medicaid fraud, non-compete and real estate disputes, as well as defense and prosecution of injunction cases on a wide variety of issues. In 1999, Mr. Holmen, in conjunction with other counsel, obtained the then-largest jury verdict ($88 million) in a commercial case in the Circuit Court of Cook County in favor of the founder of PC Magazine after a six-week trial.
Representative cases include:
- Defended an England-based manufacturer against numerous injury and fatality claims arising from the collapse of an outdoor stage at the 2011 Indiana State Fair.
- Represented a Lloyd’s syndicate seeking recovery through subrogation for a fire loss to farm equipment.
- Represented a Lloyd’s syndicate seeking recovery from a law firm for amounts paid to settle a multi-million dollar claim made under an employment practices policy.
- Represented a domestic insurer in a first-party loss under a builder’s risk policy in Indiana arising out of design defects in a manufacturing facility with claimed loss exceeding $30 million.
- Represented a Lloyd’s syndicate in connection with a loss to a building caused by improper construction practices during a renovation project.
U.S. District Court, D. Colorado
U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
U.S. District Court, S.D. Iowa
U.S. District Court, C.D. of Michigan
U.S. District Court, E.D. of Michigan
U.S. District Court, S. D. New York
U.S. District Court, D. South Dakota
U.S. District Court, N.D. Texas
U.S. District Court, D. Wyoming
U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
Professional and Community Organizations
American Bar Association
Leading Lawyers Network
Super Lawyers of Illinois
University of Illinois, B.S., 1971
DePaul University, J.D., 1976