Fred Alvarez’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, insurance counseling and defense of tort cases. Fred has litigated complex insurance, bankruptcy and commercial disputes in state and federal courts throughout the United States, including Illinois, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington DC. Fred has considerable trial experience in multi-million dollar litigations and arbitrations and has reached favorable settlements on behalf of his clients in a number of large exposure cases. Fred also counsels insurers concerning coverage issues related to general liability and first-party property coverage. He also counsels insurers concerning mass tort claims, including asbestos claims.
Represented cases include:
- One of the lead lawyers in the Celotex v. AIU asbestos coverage case in Bankruptcy Court in Tampa, Florida, where our clients prevailed after a lengthy trial;
- Lead trial lawyer for one of the insurer defendants in the Congoleum asbestos coverage case in Middlesex County, New Jersey; also represented client in connection with Congoleum bankruptcy case;
- Represents foreign insurers in Flintkote bankruptcy case in District of Delaware and in coverage litigation and arbitration (Flintkote Co. v. Aviva, 769 F.3d 215 (3rd Cir. 2014)) and obtained favorable ruling concerning insurers’ obligations to asbestos trust;
- Represented domestic insurers in connection with the Pittsburgh Corning bankruptcy pending in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania;
- Represented insurers in coverage cases in California, Colorado, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington, DC.
- Defended various tort claims, including bodily injury and tortious interference with contractual relationship.
U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
Professional and Community Organizations
Chicago Bar Association
National Hispanic Bar Association
University of Illinois, B.A., 1986
Loyola Law School, J.D., 1989
- Loyola Law Journal