Doug Walker has extensive experience representing clients in both reinsurance and insurance disputes. He has litigated coverage issues in courts throughout the country and he has been involved in several reinsurance arbitrations. Doug’s practice also includes advising and counseling clients on wording interpretation, conducting claims and underwriting audits, analyzing wordings and exposures for commutations and negotiating disputes. He has experience working with clients on a variety of types of claims including general liability, first party property, financial institutions, sub-prime exposures, directors and officers, professional liability and latent claims such as pollution, asbestos, breast implant and silica.
Recent examples of Doug’s cases include:
- Represented reinusrers in subrogation action against ceding company’s E&O insurers over coverage for professional negligence claim.
- Represented first party property insurers in subrogation lawsuit against third-parties arising out of casino fire.
- Defended professional liability reinsurers in Federal court in a lawsuit involving “date of claim” issues.
- Represented reinsurers in litigation and arbitration involving: “follow the fortunes,” “follow the settlements,” allocation of environmental pollution claims over multiple years, sub-prime mortgage reinsurance, misrepresentations in placing submission, “number of occurrences” for asbestos claims, extracontractual obligations and coverage for excess of policy limits “bad faith” judgments.
- Represented ceding insurer in dispute with workers’ compensation reinsurance pool.
- Represented insurers in coverage litigation involving: pollution claims of Fortune 100 policy holder and default insurance for sub-prime auto loans.
- Represented first-party property insurers in bad faith litigation and disputes involving damage during policy period, faulty workmanship, notice, fortuity and exclusions for gradual deterioration / wear & tear, earth movement and erosion.
- Represented professional liability insurers in coverage litigation regarding number of “claims,” date claim “first made” and prior knowledge exclusion.
U.S. District Court, D. Colorado
U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
Professional and Community Organizations
AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS-U.S.)
American Bar Association
DePauw University, B.A., 1991
University of Illinois, J.D., 1994