Doug Walker has extensive experience representing clients in both insurance coverage and reinsurance disputes. Doug has litigated coverage disputes in courts throughout the country and in several reinsurance arbitrations. He has experience working with clients on a variety of types of claims, including general liability, first-party property, financial institutions, directors and officers, professional liability and pollution claims.
Examples of Doug’s practice include:
- Obtained summary judgment for professional liability insurer in bad faith lawsuit alleging failure to settle. Anastasios Papadopoulos v. Westport Ins. Corp., No. 03367, Pa. Comm. Pls., Philadelphia Co., Jul. 13, 2018.
- Obtained summary judgment for professional liability insurer on number of “claims” presented in legal malpractice lawsuit. Also briefed appeal affirming summary judgment. Westport Ins. Corp. v. Peter G. Mylonas, No. 14-5760, 2016 WL 4493192 (E.D.Pa. Aug. 26, 2016), aff’d 704 Fed.App’x 127 (3rd Cir. 2017).
- Obtained judgment that professional liability insurer did not have duty to defend insurance agency in lawsuit alleging a fraudulent scheme to under-report premium data. Westport Ins. Corp. v. M.L. Sullivan Ins. Agency, Inc., No. 15-C-7294, 2017 WL 56635 (N.D. Ill. Jan. 5, 2017).
- Represented first-party property insurers in subrogation lawsuit against third-parties arising out of $81 million casino fire. Empress Casino Joliet Corp. v. W.E. O’Neil Const. Co., 2016 IL App (1st) 151166
- Obtained dismissal of declaratory judgment action in multi-state litigation involving insurance for default on sub-prime automobile loans. Sutton v. Everest Nat’l Ins. Co., No. 07-cv-00425-WYD-BNB, 2007 WL 2438987 (D. Colo. 2007).
- Defended professional liability reinsurer in breach-of-contract and bad faith lawsuit involving “date of claim” issues. Prof’l Consultants Ins. Co. v. Employers Reinsurance Co., No. 1:03-CV-216, 2006 WL 751244 (D.Vt. 2006).
- Represented excess carrier in lawsuit involving insurance coverage for environmental pollution claims. Emerson Electric Co. v. Aetna Cas. & Sur. Co., 743 N.E.2d 629 (Ill.App. 1st Dist. 2001).
- Represented reinsurers in disputes involving: “follow the fortunes,” “follow the settlements,” allocation of pollution claims over multiple years, sub-prime mortgage reinsurance, misrepresentations in placing submission, “number of occurrences” for asbestos claims, and coverage for excess of policy limits “bad faith” judgments.
- Represented first-party property insurers in bad faith litigation and disputes involving damage during policy period, faulty workmanship, notice, fortuity and exclusions for gradual deterioration / wear & tear, earth movement and erosion.
U.S. District Court, D. Colorado
U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
U.S. District Court, S.D. Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
Professional and Community Organizations
AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS-U.S.)
American Bar Association
DePauw University, B.A., 1991
University of Illinois, J.D., 1994